Sunlock for Self Tours
Sunlock is Sunroom’s smart lock proprietary technology, designed to allow prospective tenants to self-tour vacant properties safely and securely.
For any vacant property that you lease with Sunroom, you have the option to allow self tours. Allowing self tours helps renters tour the property when it's most convenient - which is often evenings and weekends. Utilizing Sunlock smart locks for self tours is a great option if you want to drive higher demand and faster lease times for the property.
Learn How Sunlocks Work
Video: How Sunlocks work for self tours
Benefits of Sunlock
- Drive more tours, +100% on average
- On-demand tours, including evenings and weekends
- Only installed on property when it’s when vacant
- Lease faster
- Secure, safe and convenient
How Self Tours Work
Only renters registered with Sunroom are able to self tour Sunroom properties. We ask them to upload a form of photo identification to confirm their identity for safety and security purposes.
When a renter shows up to a property, they are prompted to follow the instructions on the door and click ‘visit this home’ from their phone. Their profile and request for access is matched with the property’s Sunlock, and the door will open automatically.
How Sunlocks are Installed
- You select to enable self tours at the property.
- You and/or your client leaves a key at the property.
- A certified Sunroom installer goes out to the property and switches out the existing deadbolt lockset with a Sunlock. (We store the original deadbolt in the kitchen cabinet of the home. Sunroom will switch the locks back after the property goes off market.)
- The installer sets up a wifi-enabled device in the home to connect the Sunlock to the Sunroom server. The Sunlock is matched to the property.
- The installer adds informational placards to the front door with access instructions and a unique access url for renters and the property is ready for self tours.
Photo: A placard we put on the front door for prospective renters to explain how to tour the property
Who can access the property through the Sunlock?
How will renters access the property?
Renters will request to tour the property via the Sunroom app and website. Renters do not receive a code. Instead, they unlock via button click and completion of security steps. Upon leaving the property, the renter will be asked for property feedback.
How will vendors access the property?
Each lock has a specific code you can share with vendors or the owners of the property. You’ll see that code on the partner portal on the listing.
How will real estate agents access the property?
For the convenience of real estate agents, they do not have to visit unlock using the Sunroom app or website. Instead, we’ll set up a Supra lockbox. Inside the Supra agents will find a key for the Sunlock deadbolt.
Safety and Security Features
- Restricted access times - The property can only be toured 8 am to 8 pm daily.
- Auto locks and time stamps - The deadbolt auto locks every 30 seconds. Every access is time-stamped and Sunroom closely monitors open/close activity.
- Renter identity - Renters validate their phone number through a text authentication system and upload a photo of their ID. Renters must complete liability questions before entering the property.
Photo: What the Sunlock hardware looks like
We use Kwikset smart-electronic deadbolt locks. The wifi-enabled device placed in the home enables the locks to connect directly to the Sunroom server and database.